Hitaua Bay is a very popular anchorage, as it provides shelter from both wind and ferry wash.
The anchorage is located in the second bay on the western side. In the event of winds from SW to N to NE, the small cove on the northern side is a safe anchorage.
This position misses the wind and most of the wash from passing ferries.
Stern tie mooring 1492 occupies part of this space and is available for casual use by others when not in use by the mooring owner.
One recreational vessel of up to 15 metres in length may occupy this mooring at a time and the mooring must be vacated at the request of the owner.
In winds from SE to S, the best anchorage is as indicated in the sketch (see pg. 55). A stern line will be necessary. This position is open to the wash from the ferries and not as sheltered as it once was.
There is a combined club mooring laid in the middle of the bay. This mooring is safe in all winds but can be gusty in strong conditions particularly from SE to S. There are many other private moorings.
About 15 metres to the south-west of this peninsula is a rock which is just below the surface at low tide.
Caution is necessary when entering this bay, particularly at night. The southern end of Hitaua Bay is shallow and too gusty for peaceful anchorage.
In winds from SW to N to NE, the small cove on the northern side is a safe anchorage.
Hitaua Bay features area of historical interest, including the remains on a Maori pa on the narrow peninsula that protects the anchorage.
The saddle above the southern end of the bay is where Ngāti Toa chief and warrior Te Rauparaha had his canoes dragged across from Port Underwood to enable him to make a surprise attack on the Tory Channel Maori.