This bay is a very popular site, especially in the warmer months where it is visited by a combination of tourists and holiday makers enjoying the Department of Conservation (DOC) campsite.
The bay has a large combination of facilities, including boat ramp and wharf.
The bay is sheltered in S winds but is open to winds from W and to N.
The bay has a large number of consented moorings spread throughout the bay.
Momorangi means 'myraid of descendants from the heavens' or ‘the off-spring of heaven’. 
A succession of Māori tribes lived in the bay prior to European arrival. Māori probably used Momorangi Bay for food gathering and possibly temporary settlement. Due to significant earthworks in the twentieth century no evidence of this occupation now exists.
Momorangi Bay has a long history of farming and most of the slopes were in grassland from the 1860s onwards. Repeated burning was required to keep the scrub (manuka and kanuka) under control. Farming ceased farming in 1954 when the hillslopes were gazetted for a scenic reserve. At a similar time, the flat ground in the bay was turned into a recreation reserve. This area has since become a popular picnic spot with a playground and toilet facilities. The nearby Department of Conservation (DOC) camping ground also has a shop.
Since farming ended in the mid 1950s, the forest has regenerated with predominantly manuka on the higher slopes and kanuka on the lower slopes. Species such as five finger, mahoe, kamahi, kohuhu, rangiora and ponga are present under the canopy but larger forest trees, such as black beech, totara and swamp maire are still to regenerate. A significant number of bird species can also be found in the regenerating bush, including piwakawaka, kereru and tui. 
 W. H. Sherwood Roberts, “Maori Nomenclature: Maori Names of Places in the Provincial District of Marlborough,” Marlborough Express, Volume XXXVII, Issue 210, 5 September 1903, Supplement, accessed January 9, 2018, http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/MEX190309188.8.131.52