Five-knot buoys have been established in high risk areas of the Marlborough Sounds.
Travelling at speeds in excess of 5 knots in these areas is dangerous for you and other Marlborough Sounds waterway users.
Skippers who breach this speed limit may receive a $200 infringement penalty or face criminal prosecution under the Maritime Transport Act 1994.
5 knot marker bouys have been placed in the following locations:
1. Ratimera Bay
2. Waterfall Bay
3. Mistletoe Bay
4. Lochmara bay
5. Double Cove
6. Bay of Many Coves
- A five knot buoy marks a high risk area where it is reckless to travel in excess of 5 knots at any time.
- 5 knot buoys do not mark the 200 meter mark.
- 5 knot buoys are often located well inside 200m from shore
- Compliance with the speed bylaw may require an inbound vessel to slow down long before reaching the 5 knot buoy
Where the Harbour Master finds a vessel;
- Operating at a speed in excess of 5 knots within the five knot zone an infringement of $200 may be applied
- Operating at a speed in excess of 5 knots within a high risk zone an infringement of $200 will be applied or prosecution sought under the Maritime Transport Act 1994.